Unfortunately, there are a lot of people out there that don’t understand the importance of an annual boiler service, and because of this they end up with hefty repair bills when their boiler breaks down! Anyone that has their annual boiler review will already know all of the benefits and just how much money and stress it can save you, but for anyone that still isn’t sure that an annual boiler service is necessary below you will find 6 reason you should have an annual boiler service.
6 Reasons For An Annual Boiler Service
- Safety – It is alarmingly high the amount of people that end up in A&E with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning. According to the department of health around 400 people a year are affected by carbon monoxide and around 50 people a year die from carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is a silent and odourless gas and unless you have a carbon monoxide alarm there is no way of you knowing it is there until it is too late. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include, nausea, headaches and breathlessness. So not only is it worthwhile investing in a carbon monoxide detector but it is also important to have your boiler serviced once a year to ensure your gas appliances are all in good working order.
- Avoid Breakdowns – When you get your boiler serviced all components of the boiler will be checked to make sure they are working as they should and any necessary repairs will be made. This helps towards avoiding catastrophic breakdowns in the future that could leave you without heating and hot water or even needing a new boiler!
- Save Money – Having your boiler serviced regular can help towards saving money on energy bills. This is because a regular service helps your boiler to run more efficiently. Faulty boilers burn more fuel and can cause energy bills to go through the roof, so you can help keep your energy bills down by getting a Gas Safe Registered engineer to carry out a boiler service annually.
- Help The Environment – Much like the last point an annual service helps boilers to run more efficiently. Efficient boilers burn less fuel and less fuel being burnt means a reduced carbon footprint.
- Valid Warranty – In most cases boiler manufacturers require you the have your boiler serviced annually in order for the warrant to remain valid. So, if you have a 2 year old boiler and it breaks down and you haven’t had it serviced by a Gas Safe Registered engineer you will not be entitled to a free repair as you did not keep up with the annual servicing. This could be a very costly mistake.
- Landlords – This point is only applicable if you are a landlord. The landlord and Tenant Act 1985 state all landlords must ensure an annual gas safety check is carried out at their tenanted property, this includes the boiler and all gas appliance. Copies of certificates and documentation must be given to tenants at the beginning of their tenancy. When it is you own home having your boiler serviced is a choice you can make however in rental properties it is the law.